49768M is a methuselah with a lifespan of 49768 generations, discovered by Rob Liston on April 21, 2020, using apgsearch. On April 24, Goldtiger997 found a variant of this methuselah which lasts one generation longer while still fitting within the same bounding box, which is currently the longest-lasting known non-infinitely-growing methuselah within a 16×16 square. Both of these surpass 47575M which was discovered in February 2019.
|<html><div class="rle"><div class="codebox"><div style="display:none;"><code></html>x = 16, y = 16, rule = B3/S23 b3o2b3obob2o$bobob2o2b2o3bo$o2bobo8b2o$b2o5bobob4o$2b2o3bo6b2o$2o2b2o 5b2o$2bob4o3b2ob2o$9b2obo2bo$2o4bo2bo3bo$2obo3b2obo2b3o$bo2b3o2bo2b2o$ o3b2o3bo3b2o$bo2bobo2b3o3bo$obobo2bo2bo3bo$ob3o4bobob2o$bob4o2bo3b2o! #C [[ THUMBSIZE 2 THEME 6 GRID GRIDMAJOR 0 SUPPRESS THUMBLAUNCH ]] <html></code></div></div><canvas width="200" height="300" style="margin-left:1px;"><noscript></html><html></noscript></canvas></div></html>|
|49769M (click above to open LifeViewer)|
RLE: here Plaintext: here
|View static image|
|Number of cells||117|
|Discovered by||Rob Liston|
|Year of discovery||2020|
The stable pattern that results from 49768M (excluding 97 escaping gliders) has 3848 cells and consists of 317 blocks, 261 blinkers (including 16 traffic lights and two interchanges), 145 beehives (including three honey farms), 59 boats, 52 loaves, 15 tubs, 12 ponds, 11 ships, two toads, one barge, and one long boat.
- An infinitely growing soup which "goes boring" after 133100 generations due to a backwards-firing stream of gliders was found by Rob Liston on May 12, 2019; however, this is often not counted as a methuselah. Another soup, based on a crystal reaction, was found by Liston on May 29, 2020 lasting 10,514,926 generations.
- Ian07 (April 23, 2020). Re: Soup search results (discussion thread) at the ConwayLife.com forums
- Oscar Cunningham (May 12, 2019). Re: Soup search results (discussion thread) at the ConwayLife.com forums
- Dave Greene (May 12, 2019). Re: Soup search results (discussion thread) at the ConwayLife.com forums
- Adam P. Goucher (June 17, 2020). Re: Soup search results (discussion thread) at the ConwayLife.com forums
- Goldtiger997 (April 24, 2020). Message in #cgol on the Conwaylife Lounge Discord server