18
3
UPDATE: I was informed that my English terminology was incorrect. I was using the term "celibate", instead of the intended and correct "chaste". The idea was "no sex", not "no marriage".
Earth had no shortage of religious movements that to some extent prized chastity.
But they were all either:
Restricting chastity to a small subset of believers (Roman Catholicism)
Restricting chastity to unmarried people (pretty much all Abrahamic religions, at least)
Or, in rare cases where 100% of believers were required to be chaste, the religion died out quickly, for obvious game theoretical reasons.
How can I avoid that last case, and establish a religion which requires 100% total chastity of ALL its adherents, that is stable and won't die out like Shakers did, for lack of new believers being born and/or desertion of adherents to more sex-friendly faiths?
Conditions:
Religion must arise on regular Earth
Timeframe for arising and establishing is anywhere between 500BC to 1900AD
- this means no cloning/test tube babies.
I'm ok if it's brand new weird one; but some offshoot of Abrahamic ones is preferred if possible.
Absolutely no supernatural divine intervention to help (for the purposes of this question, we will take an atheist view that a religion is merely a memetic cultural system, not based on anything supernatural "for realz").
In other words, no "adherents magically get virgin births en masse", no "deity performs such miracles that 50% of Earth population believes and converts right away", no "mass hypnosis of 100K people".
For the background:
Although the needs/situation are purely Earthly-reality-based, the background is not.
I'm a member of an alien species, who can only sustain life by feeding off of the energy emitted by human adults who are chastity all their life
The energy is only liberated at the time of "natural" death ("natural" means, they can't be killed on purpose by a member of my species in this context. Any other cause of death is fine).
The energy accumulates very slowly, let's say enough for one daily meal for me in 1 year of a human's life.
Any sexual act (let's define that as penetrative genital sex) destroys many many year's worth of such energy supply accumulated in a human body.
Energy stops developing after "old age" - basically when humans become too old to desire sex, say 70?
To address one of the comments, this energy is 100% useless to Earthlings. Completely. Not enough "energy" to power a single lightbulb; human body can't process it, only destroy or create. I can't even demonstrate its existence to humans, really, except by dying from hunger.
I am either naturally shaped like a human, 100% indistinguishable from one, or stuck in human form, doesn't matter.
I have no special technology or abilities, except exceedingly sharp intellect, both IQ and EQ (which includes being great at rhethoric and demagoguery and thus extremely convincing and charismatic; as well as being smart enough that I can earn a decent but not unlimited amount of money in almost any human society)
- This includes no special science/technology knowledge, so I can't start an industrial revolution in King Arthur's court. I'm an alien equivalent of an English or Drama major :) - I can talk fast and convincingly, about general things.
Initially, I have access to a small (let's say couple hundred) members of my own species who are all 100% similar to me. I can raise new ones at will (cloning, spawning, whatever), but ONLY if there's enough "chastity energy" food supply to feed them.
- As a reminder, 1 human in 1 year of life accumulates enough energy to feed 1 member of my species for 1 day. This means 6 humans aged 60 must die chaste, to feed one alien for 1 year.
My overarching goal is to raise a fairly big # of members of my own species (how long they live is irrelevant - as long as at some point enough are alive at the same exact time). The reason is immaterial, but let's say ET can't call home on his own, but 1 million ETs brainwaves combined can call home.
- Assume that I have no need to worry about hiding my 1M ETs. E.g. they can live in some hidden in-Earth base, don't need anything but be fed the special chastity energy so they don't die of hunger. Or every one of them can easily blend in with humans with no possibility of discovery.
I decided that the only way to get my species a sufficient amount of food to raise their #s, is to codify chastity in a mass religion. Perhaps I'm wrong, but that's what my best analysis led to.
- This means an "obvious" solution of starting a world war and killing off millions of human virgin young people soldiers is offlimits. Doesn't matter if it's because of my ethics, or because I practically see no way of making this work.
When you define it as "penetrative genital sex", can the husband just jerk off into a jar and then inject it into the wife using a syringe? Such a thing has been possible for a long time. – Revetahw says Reinstate Monica – 2016-07-08T09:32:18.730
This is a tough call. In the Abrahamic religions, God's first command was "go forth and multiply", which elevates sex to a holy act. Religious objections to "alternate" sexual acts are that they profane something that is holy. – pojo-guy – 2018-09-14T11:23:07.640
There is a 0% chance this species would ever exist in the first place unless it was artificially created... but doing so would be such a bad idea because it's completely bonkers to feed off a life force that is extremely rare, if it exists at all. – Beefster – 2019-01-28T23:43:17.673
I thought you meant "no (biological) sex". But what you mean is no sexual intercourse or without procreating. That leaves us with artificial insemination or adoption, and if not: extinction. What else is there besides slavery? Yes, I peaked at the answer below, but I'm not going to read all 17 of them.... – Mazura – 2019-08-22T01:58:34.080
@jamesqf is correct, the anonymous user is wrong. The term that belongs in this question is "celibate". Celibacy means both "no marriage" and "no sexual activity", because in almost every culture now and throughout history, the former implied the latter. Chastity means "no sexual sin". Sex within marriage is chaste, but not celibate. Sex outside of marriage is neither chaste nor celibate. – workerjoe – 2019-08-22T19:15:35.370
6Wow...that...is a complicated question. I like it. – James – 2015-07-09T20:10:01.233
One somewhat unrealistic "real world" simplification. I don't require my religion to be dominant, OR to be "defensible" - in other words, I don't need to worry about Caliphate or Holy Roman Empire coming to destroy my adherents because they are worshiping wrongly. – user4239 – 2015-07-09T20:41:53.970
One further clarification: I thought it's obviously implied, but seems needs to be stated explicitly: the energy is more or less generated from sexual desire, not merely absence of sex (thus people after 60 not developing more energy). This means that castrating a person turns them useless as energy source. – user4239 – 2015-07-09T21:05:59.270
1Simple answer: You can't. Even those religions which require celibacy for some part of their believers (e.g. the Roman Catholic priesthood) find that a good portion aren't really celibate. Often the celibacy becomes a temporary hiding place for those with sexuality that is unacceptable in the mainstream society, as with priests and pedophilia in the current world. – jamesqf – 2015-07-09T21:07:58.430
1You mention that your creature has no special abilities but without the ability to even gauge whether a person is celibate or not, how would it be aware that celibate human deaths are what sated its hunger? Is this an ability that your creature does have? Or merely an omniscient narrator? – Ayelis – 2015-07-09T21:28:24.050
Rather than practicing celibacy (being unmarried), I assume you mean "being chaste", i.e., not having sex.
– user2338816 – 2015-07-09T21:38:28.760@Ayelis - that's easy. the energy is retained on earth after the person dies. You can sense it (via a sort of "smell") and gather it. – user4239 – 2015-07-09T21:43:30.003
@user2338816 - thank you. My ESL strikes again! Fixed – user4239 – 2015-07-09T21:43:48.520
Great, there goes my "use force, then sort them out" answer I was crafting. Back to the drawing board. – Ayelis – 2015-07-09T21:45:46.490
Can you store that energy? – clem steredenn – 2015-07-10T07:33:56.657
@user2338816: unfortunately, "chaste" is also an ambiguous term. Some religious groups use the word to simply mean "refraining from bad, sinful sexual thoughts and actions," which does not preclude having reproductive sex in a chaste marriage. Even the definition you gave only excludes "unlawful" sexual intercourse. See the following: http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/resources/life-and-family/abstinence-and-chastity/10-12-reasons-to-be-chaste/
– sumelic – 2015-07-10T07:50:49.710@bilbo yes. But not indefinitely... Say at most for 100 or 200 years – user4239 – 2015-07-10T12:04:44.030
@user2338816: In vernacular English (at least the American variety), 'celibate' does mean not having sex. 'Chaste' means not having sex until you're married, and then only with your spouse. Check any dictionary. – jamesqf – 2015-07-10T18:04:27.200
@jamesqf Yeah, I know. But it helps to use actual definitions so we can all be sure. A favorite quote: "No, no, you see, the rules of language are purely arbitrary, stodgy, ivory-tower crap we doesn't have to worried aboard because everytime history on you rebendible sausage mountain." -- Vern's son – user2338816 – 2015-07-10T18:51:05.720
@user2338816: Yes, that was my point. The actual definition of celibate is not having sex, chaste is not having sex outside marriage. As I said, check any dictionary. – jamesqf – 2015-07-10T21:58:01.403
The rules suggest that it would be acceptable to have a religious population which is mostly chaste (to feed from), but has some brood mares to pump out enough children to make up for those abstaining. Is that fair game? – Cort Ammon – 2015-07-11T04:58:37.953
@jamesqf Yes, it has become to mean that, though that's not what it means. Celibacy means 'unmarried'. By extension, it directly implies 'not having sex' in many religious contexts due to prohibitions against sex outside of marriage. As for dictionaries, there are two basic kinds -- on-line and printed. The on-line versions obviously reflect changes in recent usage; they generally include a separate secondary definition of "no sex" but usually with no or extremely truncated explanation. However, I also pulled three large printed dictionaries from my shelves, all published since 1950. ... – user2338816 – 2015-07-11T14:33:17.937
@jamesqf Only the third, the latest from 1980, included the minor additional definition of '3. abstention from sexual relations'. The word 'celibacy' has been used in English since at least the 1660s, but only in recent years has it (mistakenly) been used to mean 'no sex'. (Probably after we Americans voted in our first Roman Catholic President and non-Catholics used the word more.) The issue is whether this church wants members not to have sex at all or to be unmarried (and therefore not have sex). – user2338816 – 2015-07-11T14:33:38.643